October is literally one of the worst months in 2019 for many Kpop fans.
A lot of things had happened and the majority of them were bad, it’s been a difficult month to many fandoms.
Four Kpop boy group members left their groups this October alone, that’s not counting those who left in prior months this year.
The last week of October 2019 has been especially difficult for MONSTA X and their fans.
It started with a malicious post aimed to cause a stir ahead of MONSTA X comeback, the misunderstanding grew bigger and many accused Wonho and Minhyuk of trying to make fun of the #MeToo movement. Both Wonho and Minhyuk o issued an apology as well as their label. You can read about it here.
But that wasn’t the end of it that was only the beginning.
On October 29, former TV personality and Han Seo Hee’s supposed girlfriend, Jung Da Eun posted to Instagram something that went viral. She claimed that MONSTA X Wonho owes her money (over $20,000).
She posted a picture of him on TV and captioned,
“Hoseok, when exactly are you going to pay me back? kekeke.”
In the comment section she added that whenever she finds out his number, he avoids her.
The issue grew so big that Starship had to issue a response; they defended Wonho and stated that nothing Jung Da Eun said was true and that all their claims are far from the truth,
“After confirming the details, we found out that it’s not true at all. We don’t feel the need to respond to her claims.”
Han Seo Hee jumped into the mix and said that he owed her over $20,000. Han Seo Hee is a very controversial figure in the Kpop industry; she was involved in T.O.P drug case and iKON member B.I ongoing drug case.
After their initial response, it seems that both Han Seo Hee and Jung Da Eun were triggered enough to cause even a bigger scene that ended up with Wonho announcing his departure.
Jung Da Eun proceeded to post alleged text messages between her and who she claims to be Wonho’s lawyer and dropped a bombshell, she revealed that they used to live together and that despite agreeing to pay the rent 50:50, he didn’t pay her back.
Despite Starship stating that what Jung Da Eun said was far from the truth, Jung Da Eun’s text messages with Wonho’s alleged lawyer paints a different picture, a picture of a lawyer who is not flat out denying the allegations flat out but asking for an explanation. Many fans believed she was fabricating those messages but no one really knows if they’re true or not.
In the text messages, she also claims that due to this, the 10 million Won ($8,556) apartment deposit was taken from her; she also claims he took her items and sold them on an auction site. She also claims that he borrowed money from her constantly (200$-450$) without paying back and when he paid her back it wasn’t nearly enough to cover the damages he allegedly caused her.
But that wasn’t the only thing that happened to Wonho. To make matters worse, Han Seo Hee jumped into the feud between them and revealed more shocking rumors about Wonho.
On her Twitter account, she revealed what she claims to be Wonho’s past, she says,
“I know what you did in 2008. Suwon Detention Center on special charges^^”
Another tweet reads,
“I haven’t even begun yet. Doesn’t being in a juvenile detention center make you a convict?”
Here are the screenshots:
This is the first time anyone has ever heard of such serious allegations against Wonho. Her allegations are very damaging and if proven to be true it means that Wonho must’ve committed bad things enough to land in a juvenile detention center.
After those new revelations, Starship announced [on October 31st] their plans to officially file lawsuits against the spreading of those rumors surrounding Wonho; they told the press that they’re preparing a new statement. This statement was a ray of light for fans who were waiting for Starship to take strict legal action against both of them.
However, instead of the statement fans had been expecting, they announced that Wonho had left MONSTA X.
In their statement, they explain,
“We greatly respect Wonho’’s decision who wants to make sure the recent chain of events doesn’t distract from all of the exciting things that are happening for MONSTA X now and what lies ahead in the future. We will continue to hold legal liability for malicious and distorted claims related to this matter.”
This is extremely sudden and out of the blue, that’s because this morning the entire group recorded for Mnet’s “M Countdown” and everything seemed to be going just fine, the announcement was a huge shock to everybody. The group full performances were even posted to YouTube. Check them out down below:
[fusion_youtube id=”5xi2jvPMwts” alignment=”” width=”” height=”” autoplay=”false” api_params=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” class=”” /]
[fusion_youtube id=”2thm4v6xKz8″ alignment=”” width=”” height=”” autoplay=”false” api_params=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” class=”” /]
What made it even worse was that Wonho never really denied any of those claims made by Han Seo Hee in his own letter to fans, instead he actually admits to ‘past mistakes, big and small,’ without going into details. Read his letter here.
He basically touches on the subject of his past mistakes and doesn’t deny or refute any of the rumors that Han Seo Hee spread, this contributed to even more netizens believing there was truth to what she said.
In his letter, he says,
“I had a time when I was immature and there were mistakes, big and small, but after I became a trainee and made my debut, I tried hard not to be ashamed of myself; I stayed on track and worked hard…
I’m sorry to have caused damage to the members due to the unfortunate circumstances associated with me, and most of all, I’m sorry to have disappointed the fans who trusted and believed in me. I made this decision because I couldn’t watch people having a hard time because of me.”
What shocking about this entire controversy was how fast everything moved in the direction it did. Both Jung Da Eun and Han Seo Hee claims were never substantiated, no one even bothered to look into their claims to see if they were true or false before making such a drastic decision.
A period of consideration or deliberation wasn’t even given to Wonho or fans, which is the least expected from the label itself. Some fans believe that Wonho one-sidedly wanted to leave his group for a couple of allegations, albeit be serious to some extent, caused damage beyond repair to many parties involved.
There are many theories as to what could be the exact reason for Wonho’s departure. Some are convinced there is truth to those allegations, hence his decision to leave instead of fighting the rumors head-on, while others believe he left to protect his group.
The full truth might never be revealed and it is unknown if that is of consolation to fans who loved the group.
And this is what led to Wonho’s departure from MONSTA X, do you think he should’ve left or not?