Korean news outlets have released updates on the ongoing issue with “Snowdrop.”
“Snowdrop” has been under massive controversy for alleged historical distortion, so far, many advertisers have pulled their ads from the drama including one of the three biggest sponsors of the drama. A netizen has also launched a petition demanding the drama to be canceled, it has surpassed 300K signatures as of this writing.
K-netizens have also been sending emails of their complaints to the Korean branch of Disney+, according to reports, Disney+ is said to be investigating the issue amid rising controversy.
Added to that, Disney+ hasn’t been seeing noticeable growth since entering the Korean market in November of 2021. According to reports, the daily active users of the platform has already saw a 45% decline from 590K on the day of the launch of Disney+, to 310K daily active users as of December 12 [notice, this is before the release of Snowdrop]. It is said that Disney+ was hoping to attract more users to its platform with the release of “Snowdrop” which appears to now be out of the realm of reality due to k-netizens announcing their boycott of the platform.
Neither Disney nor JTBC have yet issued statements to address the controversy.
Stay tuned for updates.
What are your thoughts on this?